Saturday 2 April 2011

The flying classroom

When I began to read the article "Digital Video Goes To School" by Hoffenberg and Handler I was intrigued by the idea but also felt somehow reserved. Is the use of videos in the classroom really beneficial to the students?
As I continued to read, I changed my mind. "Wow, you can use video technology for all these ideas and benefits?"
I mean,yes, I know, children have always enjoyed sharing their ideas and work with their families and friends, even from other classes.
So far this has been a bit tricky.
I had only just prepared my script for my digital story and reflected on one of my own learning experiences.I remembered creating a dinosaur world with my classmates and I also remember how very proud I was when they went on exhibition and the entire school came to see them.
So what if the audience could have been extended?
If we had made a documentary on our project and filmed it, we would have been able to share the entire weeks work with other classes from all over the world.
This wonderful learning experience could have been shared with other teachers and students. The video could be used to share teaching and learning ideas with other teachers, helping each other to create the best learning environments possible.
And just imagine how cool that would have been for us students!
So why not be brave and explore the new?
   thanks
                                             
The more I'm learning about the use of technology in classrooms, the more I get scared. But I also get very excited about the possibilities open to us.
I hope I will be able to extend on my knowledge further throughout my entire teaching career, proving my students with some inspiring and innovative learning experiences.
I want my students to love learning, and I think the use of technology may make this a possible task.
Now it's just up to me to be on top of the new ideas and not to be too scared to try something new. 

No comments:

Post a Comment